The aims are set out below and describe the educational purposes of a course in Chemistry for the IGCSE examination.
The aims are to:
1. Provide through well-designed studies of experimental and practical science a worthwhile
educational experience for all students whether or not they go on to study science beyond this level and, in particular, to enable them to acquire sufficient understanding and knowledge to:
· become confident citizens in a technological world, able to take or develop an informed interest in matters of scientific import;
· recognise the usefulness, and limitations, of scientific method and appreciate its applicability in other disciplines and in everyday life;
· be suitably prepared for studies beyond the IGCSE level in pure sciences, in applied sciences or in science-dependent vocational courses.
2. Develop abilities and skills that:
· are relevant to the study and practice of Chemistry;
· are useful in everyday life;
· encourage efficient and safe practice;
· encourage effective communication.
3. Develop attitudes relevant to Chemistry such as:
· concern for accuracy and precision;
4. Stimulate interest in, and care for, the environment.
5. Promote an awareness that:
· scientific theories and methods have developed, and continue to do so, as a result of cooperative activities of groups and individuals;
· the study and practice of science are subject to social, economic, technological, ethical and cultural influences and limitations;
· the applications of science may be both beneficial and detrimental to the individual, the community and the environment;
· Science transcends national boundaries and that the language of science, correctly and rigorously applied, is universal.
ST. ANNE´S SCHOOL, S.A.U, CIF A78527827 AVENIDA ALFONSO XIII, 162, 28016 MADRID Teléfono: 91 345 90 60 Fax: 91 345 36 68. Registro Mercantil de Madrid, Tomo 2630, Libro 0, Folio 29 Sección 8, Hoja M-45679, Inscripción 10 AVISO LEGAL - POLÍTICA DE PRIVACIDAD